Child support concept shotIn Washington, it’s commonly the noncustodial parent who pays child support to the parent who has custody. Certain custody cases, however, may require a more nuanced arrangement. With the help of a top-notch child support attorney from Kent, can help you get a fair arrangement with the child’s best interests at heart.

Can a Parent Request for Child Support?

Yes, definitely. Parents could ask the court to approve their child support request. Most child support cases begin with an application to the DCS or Division of Child Support. This is under the jurisdiction of the state’s Department of Social and Health Services.

If the DCS approves your application for child support, it could help you with your court case, collect back and current support payments, and establish paternity if needed. It could likewise assist in enforcing support for health care. You would be working with other state agencies to get support payments, as well as modifying a support order if needed.

How Washington Calculates Child Support Amounts

In general, support amounts are based on the child’s reasonable needs and on the parent’s capacity to pay. Courts use guidelines established by the Washington State Legislature to determine the amount. Basically, a parent’s support obligation would be dependent on her or his net income.

Generally speaking, the primary concern of the court when making child support orders is to ensure that the children have enough money for their daily needs.  With the right help, your child’s quality of life wouldn’t need to suffer because of a divorce.