Child support agreement documentFailure to pay child support in Colorado, as ordered by the court, could result in extremely severe penalties. Fortunately, the court could be understanding, to some extent, when you explain to them why you’re not financially capable of making your payments.

On the other hand, their leniency and understanding could disappear if you don’t notify the court of your reasons for suddenly not making payments, warns a top family attorney in Colorado Springs.

Common Consequences of Not Paying Child Support

Typically, when an individual doesn’t make child support payments, the court would order the individual to pay back support as soon as possible. Otherwise, the court could order wage garnishment, personal property seizure, or withhold tax returns.

If the individual habitually fails to send payments, the court could order the wage garnishment to continue indefinitely or order automatic debits from the individual’s personal account every month.

Aside from these penalties developed for forcing quick repayments and consistent, timely payments, the court could also hold a non-paying individual “in contempt” and put them in jail. In addition, other penalties include:

The Colorado Child Support Enforcement Unit (CSEU) will inform the DMV of the parent’s delinquency if they are behind 30 days on payments. If the parent still fails to pay within 30 days or at least negotiate an alternative payment plan, they would get their license suspended.

The CSEU would report the incident to credit reporting agencies if the parent is 60 days or $500 behind on payments.

The suspension of recreational and personal licenses, if the parent is six months behind on their payments and is currently sending only 50% of the support amount every month.

Other Important Things to Note

If you have a justifiable reason for not making child support payments, such as illness or job loss, for instance, you could petition the court for a child support modification.

Instead of penalizing you because of your current financial circumstances, the court could modify or even temporarily suspend the support order; you just have to inform them of your reasons and plead your case. Having that said, speak with an experienced family lawyer to learn about your options.